How to Make Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
No coffee maker? No problem! Here are three coffee brewing methods that don’t require any fancy machinery:
Method 1: Make a “coffee bag” out of a filter.
Consider how you’d use a tea bag to make tea: You’d steep the bag in hot water until it was brewed to taste, then you’d enjoy a cup of hot tea.
Take that principle and apply it to coffee—that’s what we have here.
- Place a spoonful of coffee grounds onto a coffee filter.
- Use a string, hair tie, or rubber band to tie the filter and tightly secure the grounds inside the makeshift bag.
- Steep the bag in a mug of hot water and let it brew to taste. A few minutes should do the trick.
Method 2: Channel your inner cowboy.
This is the rugged, no-nonsense way to make coffee. All you’ll need is coffee grounds, water, a pot, and a heat source (this could be your stove or a campfire).
- For every 4 oz. of water you use, you’ll need about a tablespoon of ground coffee. Bring water to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, remove it from the heat source and let it sit for about 30 seconds. This will cool the water to about 200°, which is the perfect coffee brewing temperature.
- Stir the grounds into the water. Let sit for two minutes and stir again.
- Let sit for two more minutes.
- Pour the coffee carefully into your mug. The key is to pour very slowly, so that the grounds remain at the bottom of the pot.
Method 3: Improvise a French press.
Here’s how to make a bold cup of joe with just coffee grounds, water, a bowl, a tablespoon, and a mug. To make one cup:
- Add 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds to a bowl.
- Pour just enough boiling water over the grounds to saturate it. Let stand for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Pour the rest of the water needed to make the desired amount of coffee. Let stand for four to five minutes.
- Carefully pour the coffee into your mug. Again, doing this slowly and delicately will ensure the grounds remain at the bottom of the bowl where they belong.
Want a delicious breakfast to pair with your fresh coffee? Subscribe to the Cooking Light Diet today for hundreds of healthy and delicious breakfast options!