How to Make It
1. Place stock, water, salt, and bay leaf in a large Dutch oven; cover and bring to a boil over high. Add chicken; reduce heat to medium, and simmer, covered, until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°F, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; discard bay leaf. Tear chicken into bite-size pieces; transfer to a heatproof bowl. Discard chicken skin and bones. Remove the Dutch oven from heat; reserve stock mixture in Dutch oven.
2. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high until foamy. Add carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add to chicken in bowl; stir to combine.
3. Whisk together 1 cup each of the all-purpose flour and whole-wheat pastry flour and the baking powder in a large bowl. Add milk; stir until just combined. Let dough stand 10 minutes. Place dough on a floured work surface; roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 11/2-inch squares.
4. Transfer 1/2 cup stock mixture from Dutch oven to a small bowl. Add remaining 1/8 cup each all-purpose flour and whole-wheat pastry flour; whisk until smooth. Add to stock mixture in Dutch oven, whisking to incorporate.
5. Bring mixture in Dutch oven to a simmer over medium. Add square flour dumplings; simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Stir in chicken mixture and pepper; simmer 1 minute. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle evenly with thyme.
Also appeared in: Cooking Light, September, 2021,Soups & Stews