10 Healthy Snacks to Share with your Dog
My cooking often attracts a crowd. I wish I could say it is because I am an amazing cook, but
the truth of the matter is that I live with three dogs that love to eat – anything and everything. Even though they have full bellies, they hover around to scoop up and dropped food.
I like to give my dog healthy snacks, but for canines, knowing what snacks to give can sometimes be a matter of life and death (especially in smaller dogs). After volunteering at the Humane Society for a number of years, and doing my own research for my dog, here are 10 healthy snacks you can share with your pup:
- Carrots – I give my dogs full raw carrots. It takes him awhile to eat the whole thing, and I know they are healthy.
- Peanut butter – I’ll spread some on a milk bones, or just let him lick the spoon or spreader after making PB & J.
- Blueberries – Raspberries and blackberries are okay too. When I snack on berries I occasionally throw the pups a few to catch in the air – fun!
- Eggs – Scrambled, not butter, no salt or pepper. It’s rumored this will make your dog’s coat shiny.
- Green Beans – Raw, straight out the fridge makes a great snack.
- Sweet potatoes – This is an ingredient in many dog foods. A lot of people dehydrate them and use them in place of store-bought dog treats.
- Lean meat – Chicken, pork, fish, turkey. Avoid bones and fat.
- Apples – Slice a wedge off, your dog will adore you.
- Popcorn – No salt or butter here. A good way to share movie nights with your pooch.
- Rice – When my dog is feeling a little queasy, I give him plain white rice to soothe his stomach. Oatmeal is good here too.