Since our editor, Scott, started the Social Diet and announced to the world he was going to lose 20 pounds or fail publicly, Cooking Light has received many letters and comments via social media in support of his efforts. Many offered their encouragement and shared stories of their own weight loss, and the strategies they used. A few weeks ago, we shared general weight-loss tips; today we're sharing ways to get moving.
1. Get online: “Hate the gym? There are lots of cool online workouts now like The Gym Box. And lots of cool apps, too, to keep you motivated—I like Fitocracy, RunKeeper, and C25K (Couch to 5k) training by Zen Labs.” –Laura M.(Editor's note: After Netflix stopped streaming most of its workout videos last year, I reluctantly turned to YouTube for my yoga fix. I've been so pleasantly surprised at the quality of experts and content you can find for free. Tara Stiles's quick yoga routines now provide a few minutes of calm to my daily routine.)
2. Find a fitness routine you love? Do it more: "I increased the time of my current exercise that I already love. I went from 1 hour of walking five days per week to 1.5 hours, six days per week with more hills...I am only doing what I love so I don’t want to stop." –Marian A.
3. Make health your motivation: "I added weight resistance training two times a week and 20 minutes of interval training three times a week. I look and feel great, but better, I am so much healthier. My motivation was my health, not my looks, but I will take both benefits." –Dee P.
4. Start slow: "I am going to start slow with Pilates and the treadmill at least three times a week. No excuses." –Stephanie B.
5. Listen to something: "I listen to audiobooks while walking, and I make sure I walk long enough to listen to several chapters of the book each day." –Andrea M.