Hand rolls are the cutest, and this Cooking Light-approved hand roll is no exception: We are all about the thinly sliced beet, marinated tuna, and bulgur-brown rice combo, which packs an extra fiber and whole grain punch. Feel free to switch up your veggies and protein for salmon, if you prefer.
Spicy Tuna and Beet Hand Rolls
1 teaspoon white miso paste1 teaspoon sriracha1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil6 ounces sashimi grade tuna2 sheets nori1/2 cup cooked brown sushi rice1/4 cup cooked bulgur wheat1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar1 golden beet, very thinly sliced (preferably on a mandoline)4 avocado slices1/2 English cucumber, cut into matchsticks1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce, for serving1 teaspoon pickled ginger, for serving
1. In a small bowl, whisk together miso, sriracha and sesame oil. Cube tuna and marinate in miso mixture.
2. Cut nori in half lengthwise and lay on a bamboo mat or waxed paper.
3. Mix brown rice, bulgur with rice vinegar. Press rice mixture onto the nori, leaving about 1/4 empty on the right end.
4. Lay 2 beet slices in the middle of the rice. Top with marinated tuna, cucumber and avocado.
5. Starting from the bottom left corner, gently roll the nori up, folding over fillings to form a cone shape. Wet the empty nori section with water and continue rolling to secure.
6. Repeat with remaining nori and ingredients to make 4 hand rolls, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
SERVES 2 (serving size: 2 hand rolls)CALORIES 215; FAT 2.4g (sat 0.5g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 25g; CARB 25g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 4g (est. added sugars 0g); CHOL 33mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 393mg; CALC 24mg