Whole-Grain Recipes: Cooking With Farro
Farro is a quick-cooking, rich, and nutty grain, often found in Italian and Mediterranean dishes as an alternative to rice, barley, couscous, and quinoa. Packed with fiber, protein, and nutrients like Vitamin B3, farro's satisfying chewy texture will have you falling head-over-heels in no time. From summery salads to steamy soups, farro inspires dishes your friends and family won't forget.
1. Farro, Cherry, and Walnut Salad: Farro has a mild flavor, perfect for this summer salad. Add juicy cherries, crunchy celery, and a mustardy dressing for the perfect accompaniment to grilled meat, poultry, or fish.
2. Broiled Salmon with Creamy Lemon-Dill Sauce: This dish is as simple as it gets, and yet it's very impressive to serve for guests.
3. Farro Stuffing with Butternut Squash, Red Onion, and Almonds: In our untraditional stuffing, earthy flavors and starchy comfort come from whole-grain farro, not bread.
4. Smoky Farro and Chickpea Soup: This hearty one-pot meal couldn't be easier, and it makes for simple cleanup.
5. Zucchini-Farro Cakes with Herbed Goat Cheese and Slow-Roasted Tomatoes: Go ahead and make a double batch. These whole-grain zucchini cakes are delicious as leftovers.
6. Pork with Figs and Farro: A lean, versatile cut of pork can move easily from weeknight casual to simple elegance in no time at all. Stuff your way to a delicious, healthy meal.
7. Farro Salad with Cherry Tomato, Onion, and Almonds: Whole-grain salads are tailor-made for summer—you can make them ahead, you can serve them at room temperature, and they pair perfectly with almost any vegetable combination you can dream up.