Each Friday, we share five things that are getting buzz around the Cooking Light offices—from what we’re reading around the Web, to what’s hot on Instagram, or even our latest favorite ingredient.
1. The last time Mississippi made an appearance in a Five on Friday post, we didn't shine the best spotlight on them. But this time, we're giving them two thumbs up. Mississippi legislators made homebrewing (making beer or wine at home) legal in the Magnolia State this week. That leaves just one state in the Union where home artisans can't practice their craft: Alabama, Cooking Light's home state. (Hey, we just got high gravity beers in 2009.) Though the legislation that would make homemade beer legal in the Yellowhammer State (that doesn't quite have the ring of "The Magnolia State") is in the works, for now, we remain an island.
2. Speaking of islands, the Mediterranean diet is back in the news. A five-year study of over 1.5 million people found that following a Mediterranean-style diet can lower your risk for heart disease, cancer, Parkinson’s Disease, and Alzheimers. This new study is critical since it is the first of its kind to use rigorous methods to show how heart disease can be reduced by diet. You can enjoy your own moment in the Mediterranean without boarding a plane. Search our collection of superfast Mediterranean dishes.
3. We know it has to be an April Fool's Joke -- or at least we think (maybe hope?) it is. Scope, the mouthwash brand, announced their newest product today: Bacon Scope. Don't get us wrong. Bacon is delicious. But it doesn't belong in the bathroom -- or even the bedroom.
4. Where bacon does belong: Breakfast. Eating a meal each morning helps kick-start your metabolism and keep you feeling more focused and alert all day. Now, a study in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has found another benefit of breakfast: weight loss. People who eat breakfast are less likely to snack on high-fat and high-sodium snacks later in the day. In other words, a protein-rich breakfast in the morning will help you avoid ravishing a box of Cheezits that night. This just reinforces what your mother always told you: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Load up on healthy breakfast ideas so you'll never be left guessing. Try our Spinach, Green Onion, and Smoked Gouda Quiche. A wedge has 7.3 grams of protein. Make it on Sunday, and enjoy a piece each morning throughout the week.
5. Lastly, today is not just any Friday. It's Good Friday, which means Easter desserts are just a few days away. One of the best things about this time of year: Hot Cross Buns. Test Kitchen Recipe Developer and Tester Deb Wise was experimenting with a new yeast product today, and we all reaped the benefits. See a Vine video of Deb icing the buns. If you're a fan of the Easter roll (though it's delicious any time of the year), check out our lightened recipe for Hot Cross Buns. You won't be disappointed.