Desserts for Two: Chocolate Quinoa Covered Strawberries
A romantic dinner for two can be as simple as steak, roasted asparagus, a side of whole grains, and a delicious glass of something red and sumptuous. So when it comes to dessert, your options should be just as tempting and delicious. Here's the problem with desserts, however: Most of them serve eight or more. While that's great for Thanksgiving or Christmas, it's not ideal for Valentine's Day. After all, it's just you and your bae. You need a dessert that's as special and unique as the two of you. This week, we'll share all of our favorite desserts for two.
After the success of our Chocolate Bark with Caramelized Quinoa, we're totally into sneaking toasted quinoa into our desserts for an interesting contrast of textures. For two people, this recipe is a bit high on saturated fat (almost all of it coming from the dark chocolate) for our everyday nutritional guidelines. But it's Valentine's Day, so splurge a little if you feel like it. If this is for an everyday treat, cut it to 4 servings, and you get the nutritional thumbs up.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1 tablespoon uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 ounces good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 12 strawberries, washed and pat dry
1. Set a saute pan over medium heat. Toast quinoa, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until golden and crisp- about 10 minutes. (Quinoa may pop out of the pan, so use caution) Transfer to a shallow dish and let cool. Repeat with coconut flakes.
2. In a double boiler, melt chocolate over simmering water. Stir in canola oil and transfer to a small bowl.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush strawberries with chocolate and set on parchment paper. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and quinoa and let harden in the fridge.
Serves 2 CALORIES 292; FAT 19g (sat 3.8g, mono 1.7g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 3g; CARB 36g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 25g; CHOL 5mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 2mg; CALC 15mg Cut these numbers in half if you're serving four.