Toasts with the Most: Healthy "Banana Bread"
As of late, bread has become the common denominator in trending “bad-for-you” food. When did we decide that we need to wage war against gluten? To battle to defeat carbs? In my opinion, there is no need for such negative feelings about the humble loaf; it doesn’t deserve such treatment! Yes, moderation is key when it comes to the carb argument, but there is a smart way to go about the glorious toast. Loading it with fresh, delicious toppings is a start. Thus: Toasts with the Most.
Each toast featured in this series may not come to mind as the conventional toaster-familiar option. Crackers, flatbreads, and gluten-free options are interchangeable throughout this series, unless noted otherwise. Be smart about your carbs: Choose the widths of your slices wisely, and your carb guilt can just be quiet for once.
Banana bread is supremely delicious, and it's one of those things where we tell ourselves, "It has fruit, so it's healthy, right?"
Yeah, sorry. We can't call all of those heavily sugared loaves 'healthy,' even if we load them with bananas. Seriously, some of them border on cake standards. Plus, when a craving hits, who wants to wait until a loaf bakes?
Still I just cannot help but crave the snack-time fave. Toasts with the Most proposes swapping the sugary slice with seeded bread and topping with lightly caramelized bananas and a swipe of sinful mascarpone cheese. See, it even sounds more decadent! Try out the lightened version below.
Healthy "Banana Bread": Seeded Bread with Mascarpone and BananaUse firmer bananas to caramelize—they will hold together better when sautéed. Feel free to sub 1/3-less-fat cream cheese or Greek yogurt for the mascarpone.
- 1 slice seeded bread, lightly toasted
- 1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 banana, thickly sliced
- Cinnamon, for dusting
2. Heat a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Melt butter, and stir in brown sugar. Add bananas, and cook for 30 seconds or until slightly soft.
3. Top toast with bananas, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Enjoy!
Previous Toast Posts:
- Toast with Almond Butter and Raspberries
- The Perfect Avocado Toast
- Greek Yogurt Toast with Citrus
- Smoked Salmon Scandi Toast
- Flatbread with Carrot and Hummus