These 15 Popular Halloween Candies Are All Vegan Friendly
Vegan Halloween candy isn't actually that hard to come by. Unlike many other specialty foods, there's plenty of plant-based, vegan options available right in the middle of the candy aisle of your local grocery store—or even in the Halloween aisle of many major retailers like Walmart and Target.
The listed candy brands below are all widely available in grocery or convenience stores, making them ideal for hungry trick-or-treaters. While these brands are vegan (at the time of writing) be sure to double check the ingredients before purchasing in your local market. Do the same with any special Halloween versions of these products, as this sometimes means a change in the standard recipe that you know and love.
When shopping for vegan Halloween candy, there are a few ingredients that should stop you dead in your tracks.
Avoid the following ingredients:
- Dairy: Found mostly in chocolate products, this can also be named milkfat, whey, or caesin.
- Gelatin: A common ingredient in gummy candies, gelatin is made from animal tendons, ligaments, and bones.
- Shellac: Also known as "confectioner's glaze," this glossy product is created using the excretions of certain insects.
- Carmine: Usually found in bright red products, carmine is a pigment made by crushing the shell of a female cochineal insect.
- Eggs: Obviously not plant-based!