If you want a little something sweet and you want it fast, pull one of these Rhubarb Jam Cheesecakes from the freezer at the start of dinner—it will be ready to eat in time for dessert. To make a batch of these single-serve treats, steam our five-ingredient cheesecake batter (on top of the stove!) in freezer-proof jars. Layer in granola for crunch and a topping of strawberry-rhubarb compote for a sweet-tart contrast. Then, simply cover with the jar lids and freeze the cheesecakes. Since they thaw at room temperature, these preportioned desserts are perfect to pack for lunch, put out at potlucks, or enjoy most any time you need a grab-and-go dessert.
Rhubarb Jam CheesecakesHands-on time: 20 minutes; Total time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
8 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese4 ounces fat-free cream cheese2/3 cup sugar, plus 6 tablespoons1/8 teaspoon salt3/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt2 large eggs1 large egg white1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract6 ounces 1/2-inch slices rhubarb6 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced2 teaspoons cornstarch1 tablespoon lemon juice1/2 teaspoon ground ginger1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon1 1/4 cups low-fat granola without raisins
1. Place a wire rack or 2 thick kitchen towels in the bottom of a large stockpot; place on stovetop.
2. Beat cheeses, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt with a mixer at low speed until smooth. Add yogurt; beat 1 minute. Add eggs, egg white, and vanilla; beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. Divide batter among 8 regular-mouthed half-pint (8-ounce) freezer-safe canning jars. Cover tops of each jar with foil; tightly seal edges. Place jars in prepared stockpot; add hot water to a depth of 2 inches, and cover with lid or foil. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 20 minutes or until cheesecakes are done. Remove jars to a rack; cool completely.
3. While cheesecakes cook, combine rhubarb, remaining 6 tablespoons sugar, and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a medium pan. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture boils. Reduce heat to medium low; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick and liquid has evaporated, stirring frequently. Remove to a bowl, and cool completely.
4. Use a damp paper towel to clean the inside of jars of any cheesecake batter residue before adding the granola and jam layers. Place 2 1/2 tablespoons granola over the cheesecake layer in each jar. Top each with 2 tablespoons rhubarb jam. Place lids on jars, and freeze. Thaw at room temperature before serving.
Serves 8 (serving size: 1 cheesecake)CALORIES 295; FAT 8.3g (sat 4.8g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 10g; CARB 46g; FIBER 2g; CHOL 68mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 315mg; CALC 120mg
- Wow! Chocolate Bark with Caramelized Quinoa
- Wow! You've Got to Try Old-Fashioned Popcorn Balls
- Wow! Hasselback Apples