Wow! You’ve Got to Try Butternut Queso Fundido
For your next tailgate or Super Bowl Party, put out a bowl of our Butternut Squash Queso Fundido. This cheesy snack sports two-thirds less fat than the classic dish and gets extra richness from butternut squash. Grab a chip and get dipping!
If you prefer, you can roast a halved, seeded butternut squash at 350° for 45 minutes or until soft. Scoop 10 ounces of flesh, and use in place of the puree.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- ¾ cup diced red onion
- 1½ tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen butternut squash puree, thawed
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 3 ounces shredded Oaxaca or part-skim mozzarella cheese (about ¾ cup), divided
- 3 ounces shredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican-blend cheese (about ¾ cup), divided
- ⅓ cup very thinly sliced radishes
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced jalapeño pepper
- 30 light tortilla chips
- Celery sticks (optional)
1. Heat oil in a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add red onion; cook 5 minutes or until softened. Add flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add stock, squash, chipotle, and adobo sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add 2 ounces Oaxaca cheese and 2 ounces Mexican-blend cheese; cook 2 minutes or until smooth, stirring until cheese melts.
2. Preheat broiler to high.
3. Sprinkle remaining cheeses over top. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Top with radishes, cilantro, green onions, and jalapeño. Serve with chips and celery sticks, if desired.
SERVES 10 (serving size: ¼ cup fundido and 3 chips)
CALORIES 119; FAT 4.3g (sat 2.2g, mono 0.3g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 6g; CARB 16g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 1g (est. added sugars 0g); CHOL 8mg; IRON 0mg; SODIUM 207mg; CALC 133mg