Pesto Caprese Oats
There are few combinations better than pesto and caprese. Put the two together and you've got yourself a cheesy, herbaceous marriage of flavor. Add them to a bowl of oats, and you've got a warm, savory breakfast that will wake up your taste buds and keep you satisfied until lunch. Sounds like the perfect breakfast to us.
Basil? In your oatmeal? Sounds kind of weird, I know. However, a drizzle of pesto over a mozzarella-infused bowl of oatmeal is a refreshing way to start your morning if you're sick of your go-to breakfast. We used store-bought pesto, but feel free to use up fresh basil in your own homemade batch. Either way, pesto tastes great on just about anything, and that sentiment holds true in this savory oatmeal bowl.
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon pesto, store-bought or homemade
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring water to a boil. Add oats and let cook for 5 minutes or until desired consistency.
2. In a separate skillet, place the olive oil over medium heat and cook the tomatoes until slightly crispy at the edges, about 5 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine half of the cheese and cooked oats.
4. Top oatmeal with pesto, tomatoes, the rest of the cheese, and salt.
CALORIES 312; FAT 17g (sat 4g, mono 4g, poly 2g); PROTEIN 11g; CARB 31g; FIBER 5g; SUGARS 3g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 726mg; CALC 151mg