Wow! Send a Message-in-a-Pie
What’s better than a delicious homemade pumpkin pie? One that gives a personal touch with a fun, caring message! Share this Message in a Pie with your friends, family, or anyone you want, then share it on Instagram by tagging @cookinglight.
Our simple technique is foolproof: Just shape letter, bake separately, and arrange on top of cooked pie.
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough, divided
- 1 cup evaporated low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can plus 1/2 cup unsweetened pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450°.
2. Roll half of pie dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Fold edges under; flute. Line dough with parchment paper; fill with pie weights. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until golden. Place on wire rack.
3. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
4. While crust bakes, combine milk and next 9 ingredients (through pumpkin), stirring until well combined. Pour into crust, place in oven, and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.
5. While pie bakes, unroll remaining pie dough; roll into a 12-inch circle. Cut dough into 1/3-inch-thick strips. Gently shape strips into lettering on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; keep dough chilled until ready to bake. (Discard remaining dough, or reserve for another use.)
6. Lightly beat together 1 teaspoon water and egg yolk. Lightly brush dough lettering with yolk mixture; sprinkle with granulated sugar, if desired. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack; arrange lettering on top of pie.
CALORIES 242; FAT 9.3g (sat 3.7g, mono 2.8g, poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 5g; CARB 37g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 84mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 212mg; CALC 97mg