Kick off your next cookout with this handheld take on watermelon salad.
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (3/4-inch-thick) slice seedless watermelon (from a 9-inch-diameter watermelon)
- 1 ounce creamy blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 tablespoons small basil leaves
1. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
2. Combine onion, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; let stand 15 minutes or until onion is softened, tossing occasionally. Combine 2 teaspoons brining liquid and 2 teaspoons olive oil, stirring with a whisk. Drain onion, and discard remaining liquid.
3. Brush olive oil mixture onto both sides of watermelon slice. Grill watermelon 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until well marked and juicy; place on a serving platter or cutting board. Top watermelon evenly with pickled onions, blue cheese, and pecans. Sprinkle with basil. Cut into 8 wedges.
SERVES 4 (2 wedges per serving) CALORIES 130; FAT 7g (sat 1.9g, mono 3.6g, poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 3g; CARB 15g; FIBER 1g; CHOL 5mg; IRON 1mg; SODIUM 165mg; CALC 59mg