This recipe, made just for one serving, is great for using up the last of your rotisserie chicken. Using chilled rice, yet another leftover, will result in consistently amazing fried rice over and over again.
Cooking for one person can be quite difficult—and, frankly, very boring. Many recipes make 4 servings. Even more make 6 or 8 servings. For families, that's great, but if you're not into leftovers and you're flying solo at the dinner table, this just won't work. This recipe focuses on combining a few fresh ingredients with pantry staples for a fun dinner for one.
Adobo Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper slices
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup cooked boil-in-bag brown rice, chilled
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 3 ounces rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 chipotle chile
- 2 tsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon adobo sauce (or Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons thinly diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Steam broccoli 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan. Add garlic and bell peppers to pan. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown. Place pepper mixture in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add ginger; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add rice; stir-fry 3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Remove rice mixture from pan; add rice to bowl with pepper mixture.
- Wipe the pan with a paper towel. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add broccoli; stir-fry 1 minute. Add chicken; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in chile, soy sauce, vinegar, adobo (or Sriracha), and broth; cook for 1 minute or until liquid thickens slightly. Add pepper mixture back to pan; stir to combine. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat, and stir in onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
CALORIES 461; FAT 24.9g (sat 3.7g, mono 8g, poly 5g); PROTEIN 31g; CARB 32g;FIBER 5g; CHOL 71mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 544mg; CALC 59mg