Dinner for One: Adobo Chicken Fried Rice
Cooking for one person can be quite difficult—and, frankly, very boring. Many recipes make 4 servings. Even more make 6 or 8 servings. For families, that's great, but if you're not into leftovers and you're flying solo at the dinner table, this just won't work. This recipe focuses on combining a few fresh ingredients with pantry staples for a fun dinner for one.
Adobo Chicken Fried Rice
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper slices
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup cooked boil-in-bag brown rice, chilled
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 3 ounces rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1/2 chipotle chile
- 2 tsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon adobo sauce (or Sriracha)
- 1 tablespoon fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons thinly diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Steam broccoli 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon canola oil to pan. Add garlic and bell peppers to pan. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown. Place pepper mixture in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add ginger; stir-fry 10 seconds. Add rice; stir-fry 3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned. Remove rice mixture from pan; add rice to bowl with pepper mixture.
- Wipe the pan with a paper towel. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add broccoli; stir-fry 1 minute. Add chicken; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in chile, soy sauce, vinegar, adobo (or Sriracha), and broth; cook for 1 minute or until liquid thickens slightly. Add pepper mixture back to pan; stir to combine. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat, and stir in onions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
CALORIES 461; FAT 24.9g (sat 3.7g, mono 8g, poly 5g); PROTEIN 31g; CARB 32g;FIBER 5g; CHOL 71mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 544mg; CALC 59mg