These Air Fryer Apple Spice Turnovers Are Only 170 Calories
Welcome to Air Fryer Month! Throughout September, our team will be sharing healthy air-fryer recipes and tips and tricks to help you get meals on the table in less time with fewer dishes, courtesy of everyone's favorite appliance. Visit us weekly for the latest Air Fryer Month content.
Did I buy my fall candles weeks before September so I could light them the moment the air turned crisp? Yes, yes I did. Fall flavors are my absolute favorite, and cooking this time of year brings me a lot of joy. These air fryer apple spice turnovers are packed with fall ingredients that will fill your home with heartwarming aromas.
Feel free to play around with the filling of the pastry, as phyllo dough is very forgiving. Add more nuts, different nuts, diced pear, or even dried cranberries, if you like.
The beauty of this recipe is it’s surprisingly low in calories and fat for a pastry—and we owe it all to the phyllo dough. Phyllo dough is made entirely of flour and water, so the fat from this recipe comes from the butter that you brush on the phyllo. To control the fat content, instead of brushing lots of butter between each layer, this recipe calls for butter between every other layer.
RECIPE: Air Fryer Apple Spice Turnovers
Yield: 8 turnovers
Serving size: 1 turnover
2 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1/3 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 package frozen phyllo dough, thawed
2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium-low. Add diced apples and cook for three to five minutes, or until the apples are slightly soft.
- Add pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla to the pan. Cook for another five minutes, stirring frequently, until everything has cooked down. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Unroll phyllo dough and cover with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent from drying.
- Remove a single sheet of phyllo and brush with butter, keeping the remaining sheets covered as you work.
- Remove two more sheets and place atop buttered sheet. Brush the top (or third) sheet with more butter and add one more sheet for a total of four sheets.
- Using a paring knife or pizza cutter, cut the layered sheets into two long strips.
- Spoon two tablespoons of filling on the bottom end of each strip. Fold the bottom right corner of the dough to form a triangle. Continue folding triangles back and forth and seal the ends with your fingertips. You will have two turnovers.
- Starting again with fresh phyllo, repeat the process three more times to make eight turnovers.
- Lightly brush the tops of the turnovers with more butter.
- Air fry at 370 degrees for four minutes or until the tops are browned.
- Remove and let cool slightly. Top with cinnamon.
Calories 170; Fat 5.2g; Saturated fat 1.8g; Protein 2.4g; Carbohydrates 29g; Fiber 2g; Sugars 12.5g; Added sugars 0g; Sodium 4.9mg