Take advantage of strawberry season by roasting strawberries at home.
There really is nothing like going strawberry picking in the summer—friends, family, straw hats, gingham shirts, and fields upon fields of berries. After laborious hours of picking and fun, you are left with buckets of strawberries. You make jam, rhubarb pie, ice cream, smoothies and eat them plain (because that’s really the best way). But alas, the strawberries seem to be multiplying… a problem you never thought you would have.
My solution? Roast them! Roasting them brings out the fruit’s natural acidity, making them taste like they’ve been spritzed with lemon juice. They’re sweeter, warm, and caramel-y. They are amazing straight out of the oven, but they also turn into something saucy and delicious when jarred up in the fridge.
RELATED: 20 Favorite Strawberry Recipes
Ingredients for Oven-Roasted Strawberries
- 2 pints of washed strawberries, hulled
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
How to Make Roasted Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lay the strawberries in a single layer out on a baking pan. (You want a deep pan to catch the juices that are released.)
- Sprinkle evenly with the brown sugar.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes.
And just like that, oven-roasted strawberries! Here, some more ways to make the most of your roasted strawberries.
- Pour the juices that are left in the pan after scooping out the strawberries—trust me, there will be a good bit—into a sauce pan and simmer with 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar for 15 minutes on med-high heat for a sweet and tangy drizzle.
- The syrup pairs well over other fruit as well, but I like it to give savory things an easy twist. Drizzle over pork chops, into salad dressing, or even over brie on your next cheese plate.
- Make a Roasted Strawberry Salad with Prosciutto and Beets, or blend your berries into a Roasted Strawberry Margarita with Aquafaba Whip.
- Get a slice of your favorite whole grain bread and lay .75 oz. of dark chocolate on top. Place some of the strawberries straight out of the oven on top of that, letting the heat melt the chocolate. Sprinkle ½ tbsp of chopped, unsalted pistachios on top. Quick & easy dessert!