Toasts with the Most: Toast with Greek Yogurt and Citrus
As of late, bread has become the common denominator in trending "bad-for-you" food. When did we decide that we need to wage war against gluten? To battle to defeat carbs? In my opinion, there is no need for such negative feelings about the humble loaf; it doesn’t deserve such treatment! Yes, moderation is key when it comes to the carb argument, but there is a smart way to go about the glorious toast. Loading it with fresh, delicious toppings is a start. Thus: Toasts with the Most.
Each toast featured in this series may not come to mind as the conventional toaster-familiar option. Crackers, flatbreads, and gluten-free options are interchangeable throughout this series, unless noted otherwise. Be smart about your carbs: Choose the widths of your slices wisely, and your carb guilt can just be quiet for once.
Peanut butter and jelly, salt and pepper, peas and carrots--the food world's most basic combinations can now welcome a new friend: Greek yogurt and toast. Buying the big tub of yogurt seems to be the most financially logical (and earth-friendly) choice, but it may leave you needing a few ways to use it up.
Enter, toast. This one might require a fork and knife, but you have an excellent balance of savory, sweet, and creamy in this plating. Any citrus will do, but blood oranges give you a gorgeous pop of color. Feel free to top with any other fruit you'd pair with Greek yogurt--pears, apples, berries, bananas. The opportunities are endless. I'd toast to that!
Toast with Greek Yogurt and Blood Orange
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 blood orange, sliced
- 1 tablespoon almonds, chopped
- Toast bread to desired doneness. I think this toast requires some contrast to the rich yogurt, so the crispier the toast, the better.
- Mix Greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla together in a small bowl.
- Spread toast with yogurt mixture, and top with blood oranges. Sprinkle with chopped almonds. Enjoy!