Five on Friday: Red, White, and Blue Cheese for Fourth of July Celebrations
Each Friday, we share five things that are getting buzz around the Cooking Light offices—from what we’re reading around the Web, to what’s hot on Instagram, or even our latest favorite ingredient.
Leave up your patriotic regalia from cheering on the USA during the World Cup, and get out your banners and Uncle Sam top hats. The 4th of July is just one week away! It’s the time of the year we celebrate our independent country in full Red, White and Blue!
As easy as it is to get the red into your Fourth festivities (tomatoes, peppers, strawberries, cherries and more), blue is trickier.
Put away the artificial dye, and save the blueberries for dessert! Make way for a little blue—blue cheese, that is. Creamy, salty and sharply flavorful, the marbled cheese isn’t just for dipping with buffalo hot wings (though it is oh so delicious). Take a look at our five favorites for celebrating with baby blue.
1. BBQ Chicken and Blue Cheese PizzaVibrant and kid-friendly, not much beats a sunny day with pizza on the patio. This pizza is tangy and sweet with the right kick of salt from the crumbles of cheese.
2. Waldorf Salad with Steel-Cut OatsDon’t let the name scare you. The oats add a wholesome nuttiness to a picnic favorite. It transports well and will have you nourished for more fireworks and lakeside fun.
3. Grilled Pepper, Onion, and Blue Cheese SaladAlready grilled hot dogs and burgers? Or maybe steaks and salmon? Whichever fulfills your chargrilled fancy, keep the flame going for this salad. Grilling imparts a natural sweetness in the veggies, not to mention the enhanced gem-like hues.
4. Hazelnut, Pear, and Blue Cheese TartGet a little fancy, with little effort. This tart is sophisticated and delicious. It’s not too sweet, just in case you want to have some berries and cubed melons on the side (fresh fruit is a must for all day fun!). Pull it out of the oven, slice, and pause when serving for Oohs and Aahs.
5. Sweet Basil Martini with Blue Cheese TomatoesOdd, I know. But wow! is it gorgeous! Take a savory twist on the classic martini.