Crazy for Korean
The ingredients, books, and info you need to share in our most recent food infatuation.
- Fish SauceYes, it's used in Korean dishes, too, as a shortcut to umami. We love Red Boat.
- KoreatownLively, recipe-driven required reading by Deuki Hong and Matt Rodboard.
- Cook Korean!Find this playful comic book of recipes by Robin Ha on shelves next month.
- Korean Food Made SimpleThe title of this must-have cookbook from Judy Joo says it all.
- Brown SugarSeems simple, but good luck achieving signature flavors without it.
- KimchiEmbrace the fab and funky power of fermentation. Try Simply Seoul brand.
- BarooLA chef Kwang Uh's food is as inspired as it is Instagram-worthy (@baroo_la).
- GochujangTry it and you won't be able to cook without this sweet, spicy pepper taste.
- Fresh GarlicThis is a nonnegotiable elemental flavor in the Korean kitchen.
- Soy SauceAlways have a bottle (or two) on hand. We opt for Kikkoman lower-sodium.
- GochugaruLike red pepper flakes but roastier-toastier. Fine and coarse are available.
- Tabletop GrillSchedule a Korean BBQ night; these iconic grills are easy to find online.