Everything Amaranth CrackersThe popular everything bagel topping makes delicious savory flavoring for these whole-grain bites. Toasting the amaranth flour removes some of its bitterness and strong grassy flavor, resulting in a nutty-tasting cracker with a light, crisp texture.
Hands-on time: 15 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
Ingredients4 ounces amaranth flour (about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)3 tablespoons cornstarch1 teaspoon garlic powder1 teaspoon onion powder1/2 teaspoon baking powder1/2 teaspoon kosher salt1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil5 to 6 tablespoons ice water1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten2 teaspoons sesame seeds1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds or black sesame seeds3/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Spread flour out in an ovenproof skillet or jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and flour smells nutty and not grassy, stirring every 5 minutes. Cool flour.
3. Increase oven temperature to 375°F.
4. Place flour, cornstarch, and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a food processor; pulse 3 times to combine. Drizzle flour mixture with oil; pulse to combine. Drizzle 5 to 6 tablespoons ice water through food chute while pulsing mixture, just until a dough forms. Remove dough from processor.
5. Roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness between sheets of plastic wrap. Cut with a 2-inch round cutter to form 32 rounds, rerolling scraps. Arrange dough rounds on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush egg yolk over dough. Combine sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and pepper; sprinkle over dough, pressing gently to adhere. Bake at 375°F for 15 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned. Place crackers on wire racks; cool completely.
SERVES 8 (serving size: 4 crackers)CALORIES 156; FAT 9.1g (sat 1.5g, mono 5.4g, poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 3g; CARB 16g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 0g (est. added sugars 0g); CHOL 23mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 158mg; CALC 58mg
More Recipes from Everyday Whole Grains:
- Thai Buckwheat Larb
- Grilled Radicchio and Sorghum Pilaf
- Millet Cream Tarator Dip
- Super-Fudgy Teff Brownies