Creative Muffin Tin Appetizer: Ahi Sushi Cups
Ahi Sushi CupsSkip the mat-and-roll routine and keep sushi night simple with these easy-to-make and impressive-to-serve cups. For a wow-worthy party app, try this recipe in mini muffin cups to create perfectly poppable bites.
1 cup sushi rice, rinsed well8 teaspoons rice vinegar, divided1 tablespoon sugar1 ounce 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened1 teaspoon kosher salt, dividedCooking spray2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce1 teaspoon dark sesame oil1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper1/2 cup cubed seeded peeled cucumber1 pound raw sushi-grade ahi tuna, cut into 1/2-inch cubes2 green onions, thinly sliced1 large diced peeled avocado1/2 tablespoon black sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1. Combine rice and 11/4 cups water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed (do not uncover while cooking). Remove pan from heat; let stand covered 10 minutes.
2. While rice stands, combine 2 tablespoons vinegar and sugar in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 30 to 45 seconds or until boiling. Stir mixture with a whisk until sugar dissolves. Add cream cheese and 1/2 tsp. salt to bowl, stirring with a whisk to combine. Gently fold vinegar mixture into rice using a rubber spatula; let stand 5 minutes.
3. Generously coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray. Lightly coat each of 12 (5-inch square) parchment paper pieces with cooking spray; press paper squares into muffin cups to form a liner. Using moistened hands, press rice mixture evenly along bottom and sides of muffin cups (about 21/2 tablespoons rice per cup). Refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes.
4. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, soy sauce, oil, and red pepper in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add cucumber, tuna, onions, and avocado to bowl. Toss gently to combine.
5. Divide tuna mixture evenly among rice cups; sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds. Gently remove cups from pan by lifting parchment paper edges.
SERVES 6 (serving size: 2 cups)CALORIES 203; FAT 6.2g (sat 1.5g, mono 2.8g, poly 1g); PROTEIN 21g; CARB 16g; FIBER 2g; SUGARS 3g (est. added sugars 2g); CHOL 33mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 606mg; CALC 21mg
More Muffin Tin Recipes: