- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons red miso
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 (1-in.) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 4 large eggs in shells
- 1/2 cup uncooked buckwheat groats, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-in.-thick half-moons
- 12 ounces baby bok choy, stalks sliced crosswise into 1/2-in. pieces, leaves left whole
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- calories 301
- fat 12.7 g
- satfat 2.6 g
- monofat 4.7 g
- polyfat 4.2 g
- protein 16 g
- carbohydrate 33 g
- fiber 5 g
- cholesterol 186 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 644 mg
- calcium 136 mg
- sugars 7 g
- Est. Added Sugars 0 g
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high. Add miso, onion, and ginger; sauté 10 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add 4 cups water, stock, and mushrooms. Bring to a boil.
Carefully drop eggs into broth; reduce heat to medium. Simmer 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a bowl filled with ice water. Let stand 1 minute. Peel eggs.
Add buckwheat and carrot to broth; increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes or until buckwheat is tender.
Add bok choy and green onions; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Ladle soup evenly into 4 bowls. Cut eggs in half lengthwise; place 2 egg halves on each bowl of soup.