- 1 small butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 bunch chopped kale (about 6 cups)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups cooked farro
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups chopped apples (about 2-3 apples)
- 4 ounces shredded Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon chopped shallot
- Calories 394
- Fat 24 g
- Satfat 6.6 g
- Monofat 6.7 g
- Polyfat 7.7 g
- Protein 11 g
- Carbohydrate 44 g
- Fiber 8 g
- Sugars 15 g
- Cholesterol 20 mg
- Iron 2 mg
- Sodium 602 mg
- Calcium 255 mg
How to Make It
Peel, scoop out seeds, and cube butternut squash.* Toss in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp ground pepper. Spread on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes at 400°F, or until squash is tender and golden brown.
In a medium skillet over medium heat, toast walnuts until golden brown and fragrant.
Combine kale, farro, apples, squash, walnuts, cheese, and cranberries in a bowl.
For the dressing, whisk 1 tbsp olive oil, orange juice, mustard, shallot, 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a bowl until fully combined.
Dress salad immediately, or keep dressing on the side and dress your salad as you go.
*Skip this step and buy cubed butternut squash if you prefer