- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup packed)
- 8 ounces uncooked whole-wheat macaroni or penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- calories 456
- fat 15.5 g
- satfat 6.2 g
- monofat 6.9 g
- polyfat 1.4 g
- protein 18.6 g
- carbohydrate 63.2 g
- fiber 8.8 g
- cholesterol 32 mg
- iron 3.1 mg
- sodium 589 mg
- calcium 235 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°.
Pierce potatoes several times with a fork; place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 1 hour or until tender. Cool slightly; peel and mash in a large bowl. Stir in milk and next 4 ingredients (through cheese).
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Add pasta to sweet potato mixture; set aside.
Preheat broiler to high.
Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add chorizo to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Place chorizo in a small bowl. Wipe pan clean. Spoon sweet potato mixture into pan; sprinkle evenly with chorizo. Broil 2 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Sprinkle with onions and cilantro.