- 4 center-cut bacon slices
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 1 medium onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 6 ounces crusty whole-grain bread, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 3 ounces cave-aged Gruyère cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- calories 287
- fat 14 g
- satfat 6.1 g
- monofat 4.4 g
- polyfat 1.8 g
- protein 19 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 149 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 546 mg
- calcium 307 mg
- sugars 6 g
- Est. Added Sugars 1 g
How to Make It
Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in skillet; discard any remaining drippings. Finely chop bacon; set aside.
Add onion and garlic to drippings in skillet over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is browned and tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach; cook until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Toss together chopped bacon, onion mixture, bread cubes, and cheese in a large bowl. Arrange mixture evenly in an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine milk, yogurt, eggs, egg whites, mustard, pepper, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until well combined. Pour evenly over bread mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover baking dish; let strata stand at room temperature as oven preheats. Bake strata in preheated oven until top of strata is browned and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let strata stand for 5 minutes before serving.