- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (2-lb.) boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 6 medium shallots, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup unsalted tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2/3 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (28-oz.) can unsalted whole peeled plum tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups stemmed chopped lacinato kale
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups stone-ground polenta
- calories 267
- fat 8.1 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- monofat 3.9 g
- polyfat 1.3 g
- protein 20 g
- carbohydrate 28 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 51 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 668 mg
- calcium 51 mg
- sugars 4 g
- Est. Added Sugars 0 g
How to Make It
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Rub pork evenly with 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add pork to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Place pork in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker (do not wipe out pan).
Return pan to medium. Add garlic, rosemary, oregano, and shallots to drippings in pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shallots are tender and garlic is fragrant. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Combine chicken stock and mustard in a 1-cup glass measure, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add stock mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Add stock mixture to slow cooker.
Add tomatoes to slow cooker, gently mashing with a spoon. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or until pork is very tender. Place pork on cutting board. Shred into large pieces with two forks.
Increase slow cooker temperature to HIGH. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon salt, shredded pork, and kale. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir in vinegar.
Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over high. Gradually add polenta, stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve ragù over polenta.