- 272 grams all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (black or white)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 134 grams sugar (about 2/3 cup)
- Grated rind of 2 tangerines or clementines, 1 orange, or 1 lemon
- 85 grams unsalted butter, cut into chunks, at room temperature (about 3/4 stick)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 60 grams finely chopped pecans, toasted (about 1/2 cup)
- 85 grams bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (about 3 oz.)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground espresso beans or 1/4 tsp. instant espresso
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature
- calories 78
- fat 4.2 g
- satfat 1.9 g
- monofat 1.2 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 1 g
- carbohydrate 10 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 38 mg
- calcium 6 mg
- sugars 4 g
- Est. Added Sugars 4 g
How to Make It
Set racks to divide oven into thirds; preheat to 350°F.
Whisk together first 10 ingredients in a bowl. Combine sugar and rind in bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl (if using a hand mixer). Using your hands, rub sugar mixture together until moist and aromatic. Add 85 grams butter to bowl; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. (It's OK if mixture looks curdled.) Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl. Add spice mixture; pulse a few times, and then mix on low until most of flour is incorporated. Add nuts; mix until dry ingredients have just disappeared into dough. Turn dough with spatula a few times to blend.
Scoop rounded mounds of dough (about 2 teaspoons each) onto each of 2 baking sheets, setting the mounds about 1 1/2 inches apart, to form 40 mounds. Shape each into a ball between your palms (dough will be sticky).
Bake 20 minutes or until firm to a gentle squeeze, puffed, cracked, and golden brown on bottom; rotate pans top to bottom and front to back after 10 minutes. Remove pans from oven, and place on wire racks.
Place a heatproof bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water (water shouldn't touch bottom of bowl). Add chocolate and espresso; heat, stirring, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove bowl from pan; stir in 1 tablespoon butter until blended. Dip tops of cookies in chocolate; place on rack until set (about 20 minutes).