Tahini acts as the savory binder in these satisfying lentil burgers, another win for vegans or others looking for an egg-free patty. Look for steamed, vacuum-packed lentils in the grain aisle for the best texture in the burgers, or cook your own: Simmer 1⁄2 cup brown lentils in 4 cups water for 20 minutes or until just tender, then drain well. The pickled cabbage is a zingy, colorful, crunchy contrast to the earthy burgers. We add another tahini hit in the yogurt spread; double the spread and dollop over a roasted beet salad or serve as a veggie dip.
2 cups finely shredded red cabbage (about 5 1/2 oz.)
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste), well stirred and divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces precooked lentils (about 1 1/3 cups)
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 small garlic clove, grated
2 teaspoons water
4 (1 1/2-oz.) whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
Est. added sugars 2g
How to Make It
1. Combine cabbage, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl; let stand 20 minutes. Drain; stir in sesame seeds.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes.
3. Place remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons tahini, cumin, pepper, and lentils in a mini food processor; pulse 4 to 5 times or until coarsely chopped. Combine cooked onion, lentil mixture, carrot, and cilantro in a bowl. Divide and shape lentil mixture into 4 patties (3 ounces each).
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high. Add patties; cook 4 minutes on each side.
5. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons tahini, yogurt, juice, and garlic in a bowl. Stir in water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until sauce reaches desired consistency. Spread yogurt mixture over cut sides of buns; top bottom halves with patties, cabbage, and top halves of buns.