- 1 (3-lb.) organic free-range whole chicken
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/2 preserved lemon (about 1 oz.), seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- Cooking spray
- 3 parsnips, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 4 carrots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 3 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh parsley leaves
- Calories 457
- Fat 23 g
- Satfat 4.8 g
- Monofat 10.8 g
- Polyfat 5.5 g
- Protein 27 g
- Carbohydrate 38 g
- Fiber 7 g
- Cholesterol 74 mg
- Iron 2 mg
- Sodium 644 mg
- Calcium 91 mg
- Sugars 14 g
- Est. Added Sugars 5 g
How to Make It
Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle cavity and outside with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.
Process lemon, ginger, garlic, honey, and canola oil in a blender until smooth. Stir in oregano and Aleppo. Rub lemon mixture over chicken, and place, breast side up, on a plate. Refrigerate, uncovered, 8 hours or overnight.
Lightly coat a wire rack with cooking spray; place in a roasting pan. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
Position an oven rack in the bottom third of oven. Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine parsnips, carrots, potatoes, onion, olive oil, salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; toss to coat. Arrange vegetables on wire rack around chicken.
Bake chicken and vegetables at 425°F until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of thigh registers 165°F and vegetables are tender, about 50 minutes. Let chicken stand 20 minutes before slicing. Garnish with parsley.