- 3 large zucchini
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Cooking spray
- 3 cups low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 cup non-dairy cheese (such as Daiya)
- calories 272
- fat 16.4 g
- satfat 2.6 g
- monofat 2.5 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 9 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 4 g
- sugars 7 g
- cholesterol 0 mg
- iron 3 mg
- sodium 531 mg
- calcium 222 mg
How to Make It
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Thinly slice the zucchini lengthwise with a mandoline. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and place aside in a colander to sweat.
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, garlic, bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Sauté for 5-10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
Drain the tofu and mash well in a large bowl. Mix in the vegan mayonnaise, nutritional yeast, pepper, onion powder, oregano, and basil. Set aside.
In a cooking spray coated 11x7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, pour 1.5 cups of tomato sauce. Then follow by layering zucchini, cooked vegetables, zucchini, tofu ricotta, zucchini, and the remaining sauce. Sprinkle on the non-dairy cheese and bake for 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting.