- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 cups finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (1-oz.) miniature whole-wheat pita rounds (such as Toufayan)
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cups loosely packed baby arugula (about 2 oz.)
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- calories 379
- fat 8.5 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- monofat 3.1 g
- polyfat 3.2 g
- protein 17 g
- carbohydrate 63 g
- fiber 14 g
- cholesterol 1 mg
- iron 6 mg
- sodium 642 mg
- calcium 132 mg
- sugars 10 g
- Est. Added Sugars 0 g
How to Make It
1. To prepare falafel, combine 6 cups water and chickpeas in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 8 hours or overnight. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F.
3. Combine chickpeas, onion, and next 9 ingredients (through ground red pepper) in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Divide and shape mixture into 16 (1/2-inch-thick) patties (about 1/3 cup per patty).
4. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place 8 patties in pan; coat patties with cooking spray. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place on a wire rack set on a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with cooking spray and remaining patties. Place baking sheet in oven; bake at 450°F for 10 minutes. Reserve 8 falafel patties for Falafel Pizza and Falafel, Feta, and Tomato Salad.
5. To prepare pita sliders, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, dill, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl. Cut off top fourth of each pita (reserve for another use). Spoon about 1 tablespoon yogurt mixture into each pita pocket; top with 1 falafel patty, 1 tomato slice, 1/4 cup arugula leaves, and about 1/4 cup red onion slices.