- 5.75 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 3 ounces white whole-wheat flour (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (such as Earth Balance), chilled (see Note below)
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 5 Tbsp. ice-cold water
- 6 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 9 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup evaporated 2% milk
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- calories 291
- fat 12.2 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- monofat 3.8 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 7 g
- carbohydrate 38 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 65 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 334 mg
- calcium 105 mg
- sugars 20 g
- Est. Added Sugars 15 g
How to Make It
Prepare the crust: Whisk together flours, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter; combine, using your fingers, until shortening and butter are well distributed and small clumps begin to form. Stir in 2 tablespoons ice-cold water. Add up to 3 additional tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon at a time; combine, using your fingers, until dough begins to come together. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface; gently knead 1 to 2 times. Shape into a ball; flatten into a disk, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Chill 20 minutes.
Unwrap dough; transfer to lightly floured surface. Roll to a 10- to 11-inch circle; fit into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Fold edges under, and crimp. Freeze for 45 minutes (or up to 2 months).
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Prepare the filling: Beat cream cheese, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 egg with an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Chill until ready to use.
Bring carrots and 6 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Boil until carrots are tender, about 25 minutes; drain well. Place carrots, evaporated milk, brown sugar, orange juice, vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, fennel seeds, remaining 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender, and place a clean towel over opening in lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Transfer carrot mixture to a bowl. Whisk in remaining 2 eggs.
Transfer chilled cream cheese mixture to prepared crust, smoothing with a rubber spatula. Carefully spoon carrot mixture over cream cheese mixture, making sure not to mix into the cream cheese; smooth into an even layer.
Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F; sprinkle almonds over pie. Bake just until set, 40 to 45 more minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 45 minutes; chill 2 hours before serving.
Note: We recommend seeking out Earth Balance shortening because, unlike most other shortenings, it contains no trans fats.