- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons grated lime rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola or other neutral oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red Fresno chile or jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage (about 7 oz.)
- 1 1/2 cups matchstick-cut peeled jicama (about 5 oz.)
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted cashews
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, mint, and/or Thai basil
- Calories 136
- Fat 9.1 g
- Satfat 4.2 g
- Monofat 3.1 g
- Polyfat 1.2 g
- Protein 2 g
- Carbohydrate 13 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Iron 1 mg
- Sodium 181 mg
- Calcium 22 mg
- Sugars 6 g
- Est. Added Sugars 3 g
How to Make It
Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add coconut oil; swirl until oil melts. Add coconut; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat; cool.
Combine lime rind, juice, sugar, soy sauce, canola oil, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in chile.
Combine cabbage and jicama in a large bowl. Add juice mixture; toss to coat. Let stand 1 minute. Sprinkle with coconut, cashews, and herbs.
The Pho Cookbook.
Ten Speed Press, $22, on sale Feb. 7, 2017.