- 8 1/2 ounces gingersnap cookie crumbs (about 1 1/2 cups or 30 cookies)
- 1 1/4 ounces buttermilk powder (about 1/4 cup; such as Saco or Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons walnut or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 (1/4-oz.) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup tawny port
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 10 ounce red beets, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1/2-in. pieces
- 1/2 cup whole buttermilk
- 5 large egg yolks
- 9 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- calories 245
- fat 13.4 g
- satfat 5.5 g
- monofat 4 g
- polyfat 3.2 g
- protein 4 g
- carbohydrate 27 g
- fiber 1 g
- cholesterol 79 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 272 mg
- calcium 65 mg
- sugars 17 g
- Est. Added Sugars 14 g
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 275°F.
Prepare the crust: Whisk together cookie crumbs, buttermilk powder, walnuts, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, ginger, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Add oil and 2 tablespoons melted butter; stir to combine. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of an 11-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Bake at 275°F until slightly browned and toasty, 17 to 19 minutes, rotating pan halfway (on same rack) after 9 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, about 30 minutes.
Prepare the filling: Combine 3 tablespoons warm water and gelatin in a small bowl; let stand until ready to use. In a medium saucepan, bring port to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 9 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in half-and-half and beets. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until beets are tender when tested with a fork, about 25 minutes. (Mixture will look curdled, but it will smooth out when blended.) Remove from heat; add gelatin mixture, and stir until gelatin melts and mixture is completely combined.
Transfer beet mixture to a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender, and place a clean towel over opening in lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids. Discard solids.
Whisk together buttermilk, yolks, 9 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium, stirring constantly with a heatproof rubber spatula, until mixture begins to thicken, about 4 minutes. Add beet mixture to pan; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat; add 1 tablespoon butter and vanilla to pan, and whisk until butter melts. Transfer filling to cooled crust, smoothing top with a rubber spatula. Cover and chill 12 hours. Remove sides of pan; cut into 16 slices.
Prepare the topping: Beat cream, powdered sugar, honey, orange zest, and goat cheese with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Serve with pie.