Grit Cakes with Smoked Tomato Salsa 6 cups water 2 teaspoons salt 2 cups stoneground yellow corn grits (such as McEwen and Sons) 2 ears yellow corn 1/2 cup heavy cream 2 eggs Cooking spray 2 tablespoons canola oil
1. Bring water and salt to a boil. Stir in grits; cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, remove kernels from corn; pulse corn kernels 3 times in a food processor until roughly chopped. Stir kernels into grits mixture; cook 5 minutes. Combine cream and eggs in a small bowl. Slowly add 1/4 cup grits mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir egg mixture into remaining grits. Pour grits mixture into a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray; level with an off-set spatula. Bake at 300° for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cool to room temperature. Cover and chill overnight.
3. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut 35 disks from grits mixture. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add disks in batches; cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until well browned. Serve topped with smoked tomato salsa (recipe follows).
Smoked Tomato Salsa 4 plum tomatoes, halved and seeded 1 cup cherry wood smoking chips 2 tablespoons chopped shallot 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1 large garlic clove, minced 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Pierce a 13 x 9-inch disposable aluminum baking pan with 10 holes on the far right end. Place holes over gas element on cooktop; top holes, inside of pan, with smoking chips. Arrange tomato halves, cut side up, on opposite end of pan. Heat element under holes to medium-high; let burn 1 minute or until chips begin to smoke. Carefully cover entire pan tightly with aluminum foil (pan will be hot); reduce heat to low. Smoke tomatoes 20 minutes.
2. Combine shallot and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Remove smoked tomato halves from pan; chop finely. Add tomato to shallot mixture; stir well. Spoon salsa over grit cakes. SERVES 35 (serving size: 1 grit cake and about 1 teaspoon salsa).
CALORIES 69; FAT 3g (sat 1g, mono 1.3g, poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 1.4g; CARB 9.5g; FIBER 0.6g; CHOL 15mg; IRON 0.4mg; SODIUM 149mg; CALC 6mg