Simple, festive idea that will make everyone smile: Guests bring homemade appetizers for eating at the party, with enough so that everyone can take home some for their own holiday soirées. Some tips for swapping:
- Give guests plenty of notice. Send out invites a month in advance. As part of the RSVP, have everyone tell you what they'll bring to avoid duplications.
- Also, it's a BYOC party—as in bring your own airtight plastic container so everyone can pack up favorites.
- That said, have extra foil, plastic wrap, and parchment paper on hand, if needed.
- Make sharing favorite recipes part of the fun. Find fun recipe card templates at skiptomylou.org/recipe-card-maker. Or share recipes online at weeatt.com. If you're e-mailing invitations, include the links.
- Specify quantities. If 12 people are attending, guests should make two dozen apps to eat during the party, plus another four dozen for swapping (everyone gets to take home 48 that way).
- Stick with recipes that can be served—and stand—at room temperature.