12 Smart Ideas for Breakfast On the Go
Set yourself up for healthy-breakfast success by stocking your shelves with items you can grab and go.
1. Single-serving bowls of whole-grain cereal are packed with vitamins and minerals.
2. Pair string cheese with whole wheat crackers.
3. Hard-boil several eggs to have on hand for busy mornings.
4. Small cartons of low-fat yogurt are a good combination of carbohydrates and protein.
5. Whole-grain English muffins can serve as a base for a breakfast sandwich. Spread on peanut butter, a source of satisfying protein and heart-healthy fats.
6. Make breakfast wraps with whole wheat tortillas; roll in lean protein, such as turkey and low-fat cheese, scrambled eggs with diced peppers and onions, or peanut butter and bananas.
7. Keep low-fat cheese slices on hand for breakfast sandwiches.
8. Single-serving cartons of low-fat, low-sodium cottage cheese are a good source of protein; stir in berries or fruit for fiber.
9. Top whole wheat toaster waffles with a tablespoon of peanut butter and/or fruit preserves.
10. Try soy or lean turkey sausage patties (you can eat them alone or put them in a breakfast wrap or sandwich).
11. Stir a tablespoon or two of fruit preserves or chopped dried fruit into plain instant oatmeal to add a touch of sweetness.
12. For protein, add a tablespoon or two of nuts to your yogurt or oatmeal. Stir frozen berries into oatmeal or yogurt to boost the vitamin content.