As of late, bread has become the common denominator in trending ‘bad-for-you’ food. When did we decide that we need to wage war against gluten? To battle to defeat carbs? In my opinion, there is no need for such negative feelings about the humble loaf; it doesn’t deserve such treatment! Yes, moderation is key when it comes to the carb argument, but there is a smart way to go about the glorious toast. Loading it with fresh, delicious toppings is a start. Thus: Toasts with the Most.
Each toast featured in this series may not come to mind as the conventional toaster-familiar option. Crackers, flatbreads, and gluten-free options are interchangeable throughout this series, unless noted otherwise. Be smart about your carbs: Choose the widths of your slices wisely, and your carb guilt can just be quiet for once.
Avocados, I'm pretty convinced, are the world's most perfect fruit. Move aside, apples—it's avocados' time to shine! Don't let the richness of avocados fool you, though. They are full of good fats. When paired with toast, they make for the ultimate breakfast/mid-morning snack. You could get fancy and top it with an egg or veggies, but I vote for the simple stuff. Good, flaky sea salt and a drizzle of indulgent extra-virgin olive oil set this toast apart from all of the Instagrams you've seen with the kitchen sink piled on top. Check out the recipe below!
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread, toasted
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Flaky sea salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Good-quality olive oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes (if desired)
- Place the slices of avocado onto your bread in a fan formation. Using a fork, mash the avocado. If you like chunkier avocado, you only need a few swipes of the fork. If you'd rather have a more evenly blended avocado mash, try mashing in a bowl and then spreading it onto the toast.
- Sprinkle with a modest pinch of flaky sea salt, a grind or two of cracked black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Top with red pepper flakes, if desired.