If you’ve been on social media lately, chances are you’ve seen at least one (if not several) friends posting an almost too-good-to-eat shot from one of the trendiest restaurants around.
What if the subject of their next post was your own culinary savvy—and the most talked about local hot spot was your very own humble abode? This fall, up your dinner party game and be the gastronomic talk of the town by hosting a by-invitation-only “supper series” for your closest friends. These inspiring tips and ideas will help you get started.
- Look (and Cook) the Part: You’ve finally got a great incentive to make those pro-quality kitchen and appliance upgrades you’ve been dreaming of for so long. Not sure if you’ve got the budget for the luxury stove or oven on your wishlist? Consider pro-grade appliances with unbeatable feature sets that you can actually afford, like the Kenmore PRO series.
- Plan Ahead: Look at the calendar and choose a series of dates tied to a specific timing that people will remember, like the first Friday or the second Saturday of every month. Decide on a “start” and “end” date for this particular series. If it’s a success, you can always host another!
- Choose an Inspiration: What will be the key element driving your first series of events? Will you build your menu around a collection of seasonal ingredients, with a different ingredient showcased each month? Will each supper be a journey to another era (Victorian tea, 1970’s California cuisine) or global destination? Or will you cook your way through a gourmet bible à la the blog-book-movie Julie and Julia?
- Don’t Just Cook—Put on a Show: Brainstorm exciting ways to get your friends involved in the food prep process and put the “entertain” in entertaining! If your neighbor is a craft beer enthusiast, invite him to moderate a laid-back “tasting” at the island while you simmer and saute in the background. If you run with a culinary crowd, ask different friends to play “guest sous chef” and bring their own skills and ideas to a particular dinner. Your supper series can be as creative and collaborative as you want it to be!
- Generate Some Buzz: Encourage guests to get ‘gramming and start a following of your own! Not only will you have locals hoping for an invite, it could be the beginning of a supper series trend in your hometown. What better way to cultivate the ultimate foodie community!