"Life itself is the proper binge."
This is one of my favorite quotes from the ever-quotable Julia Child, who died four years ago today at the age of 91.
The giant woman (6’2”) with the robustly happy warble and the generous laugh made it her life’s work to show that great food is for everyday people and can be made by everyday people with the right instruction. Julia was many things: teacher, chef, author, and television personality. The one thing she was not is sentimental.
So, as tempted as I am to wax eloquent with long statements of personal thanks and hero worship, it seems a much more fitting tribute and remembrance to share Julia Child in her own words. They have always inspired me. I hope you enjoy them as well.
My Top Ten Favorite Julia Child Quotes:
1. “You should never apologize at the table. People will think, ‘Yes, it’s really not so good.'"
2. "Dining with one's friends and beloved family is certainly one of life's primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal."
3. "The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a 'What the hell?' attitude."
4. “Forget the cheap white wine: go to beef and gin!”
5."In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."
6. "I think the inner person is the most important. . . . I would like to see an invention that keeps the mind alert. That's what is important."
7. “It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. “
8. “When you flip anything, you really... you just have to have the courage of your convictions.”
9. "You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces -- just good food from fresh ingredients."
10. "Life itself is the proper binge."