Snip a small bunch to throw in the blender with your favorite nonfat or 2% Greek yogurt, fruit, natural sweetener, and milk or juice. An easy recipe ratio for busy mornings is a ½ cup of yogurt + one fruit + tiny bit of sweetener (tsp of agave nectar or honey) + handful of your choice of green leaves + ½ cup of milk (soy, almond, 2%, or light coconut). Blur into smooth oblivion and enjoy as you rush to work.
Key Greens to Pick Fresh from the Garden:
- Kale: Lacinato, Red Russian
- Mustard Greens – for a spicy kick!
- Spinach: I love Red Cardinal for color, and Emu for winter performance
- Swiss chard: Bright Lights
- Lettuces: any variety. I’m enjoying Crisp Mint and Red Romaine.
- Cress: loves the cool weather and adds a peppery jolt
Try these smoothie favorites in the Cooking Light recipe collection. I’ve found that adding a bit of green to most any smoothie recipes goes, er, smoothly and usually unnoticed, but packs in extra nutrition. Cheers to a smooth holiday season and no scale surprises! Let us know what fresh garden goods are on your menu via the hashtag #CLPickFresh.