Now that temperatures are dropping, it's time to put your garden to bed. Here's how to make your own hoop house covers for your garden.
Most regions require a light- or medium-weight polypropylene or polyester fabric, found in local garden shops or online at johnnyseeds.com.
1. Cut three 6-foot lengths of ½-inch flexible PVC pipe with handheld cutters (adjusting for the height of your crops).
2. Screw ½-inch C-clamps at opposite points on the interior wall of beds, spaced every 2 feet. Insert pipe pieces into C-clamps, creating a hoop.
3. Cover hoops with fabric or plastic, clamping it tightly onto the pipes. On bright, warmer days, pull back the covers to give plants a chance to soak up the sun and to prevent overheating.
- Kitchen Garden Cookbook: How to Grow Your Own Food
- No Mean Green Here: Smart Smoothies from the Garden
- The ABCs of a Fall Kitchen Garden
- Vegetable Garden Designs