Each Friday, we share five things that are getting buzz around the Cooking Light offices—from what we’re reading around the Web, to what’s hot on Instagram, or even our latest favorite ingredient.
1. Favorite kitchen staple: OXO Salad Spinner - “…spin me right round, baby, right round.” This updated version on a classic favorite comes apart for easy cleaning and stores well in the fridge. Fresh spring greens are at every meal on our farm table these days, and we’ve yet to wear out an OXO salad spinner. The bowl is suitable for serving, too.
2. Fresh off the press. This book is more abuzz around our garden than the honeybee hive. Released this week, Cooking Light Pick Fresh is right on time for spring fever and the itch to get your hands in the soil. Feed your curiosity to use farmer’s market fare or mother some of those happy, green seedlings at your local nursery. We include “recipes” for season-to-season garden plans to suit your tastes and space.
3. Little jars of happiness. If you love preserving, you’re no stranger to Weck. We use canning jars for everything at our farmhouse. As vases to transport fresh herbs to the photo studio or as impromptu wine glasses (no crystal in hand while watering with the hose!), these elegant shapes elevate our style. The juice jars make great displays of your homemade herb salad dressing, while I like the squatty, wide-mouth mold jars for my cherished preserved Meyer lemons.
4. Spoil no more. Frustrated with trying to eat fresh produce, only to have a soggy, limp bundle peer at you from the crisper a few days later? I’m fascinated by Fenugreen, a middle-school science project that’s gone global. Coated with spices such as fenugreek, the biodegradable, patented piece of paper keeps your prized U-Pick berries from perishing too soon. Inventor Kavita Shukla’s story is pretty inspiring, too.
5. Snap to it! Our Pick Fresh Instagram Photo Contest continues this week. Snap a photo of your garden or fresh produce, upload it to your Instagram account, and add the hashtag #CLpickfresh. One winner each week will win a copy of our brand new cookbook, Cooking Light Pick Fresh. See the rules and get more info.