Today we kick off our new blog series, Five on Friday. Each Friday, we'll share five things that are getting buzz around the Cooking Light offices—from what we're reading around the Web, to what's hot on Instagram, or even our latest favorite ingredient.
- Earlier this week, Cooking Light presented The Great American School Lunch Challenge at the Building a Healthier Future Summit in D.C.. Editor Scott Mowbray helped judge the Iron Chef-style competition which partnered celebrity chefs with school-lunch professionals to see who could come up with the tastiest school lunch (Spoiler: Chef Jose Garces won!). Check out this fun video and start planning your best healthy lunch—we're launching our own Great American Healthy-Lunchbox Challenge in April looking for the healthiest, tastiest lunch in the country!
- Along those lines, did you miss First Lady Michelle Obama's Google+ Hangout on Tuesday? It's definitely worth a watch if you have 35 minutes to spare. And if you don't, our own Michelle Klug shared some of our favorite tips from the discussion in this less-than-2-minute video.
- Food for thought: How The Food Industry Manipulates Taste Buds With 'Salt Sugar Fat' The CookingLight.com editors can't stop talking about this interview with Michael
- Cooking with quinoa is (still) hot: Spicy shrimp kebabs with chickpea, avocado, and tomato quinoa salad was hot in our Test Kitchen, and our most liked Instagram photo this week. Look for the recipe in a future issue!
- We're following an interesting petition to get yellow dyes out of boxed mac & cheese and we'd love to know: What are your thoughts on this issue?