Everybody’s working for the weekend! Whether that’s simply a statement of fact or makes you think of the old Loverboy tune, it is the truth. Even when the weekend is packed with activities, it’s often remains the only time when we can kick back, relax, and take a deep breath. The challenge is that it might also be a time when you find yourself stumbling when it comes to good-for-you eating habits. Here are 10 tips for staying on track over the weekend.
Taking charge of your weight and health isn’t about going on diets. Rather, it’s about making lasting lifestyle changes that produce lasting success. Using these weekend eating tips will help you stay on track so that you don’t undo all of that awesome work you’ve done during the week.
As you incorporate these tips for weekend eating into your routine, remember to be kind to yourself. Lasting change takes time, and there are bound to be hiccups along the way. Keep your eye on long-term success by taking one step at a time. Find inspiration in How I’ve Maintained My Ideal Weight for 5 Years by Skinny Ms. co-founder Gale Compton or check out our Pinterest Inspire Motivation board.
1. Get yourself into a mindset of consistency. It’s easy to slip into the state of mind that tells you the weekend is time to indulge. Stay on track by committing to eating the same healthy foods and portion sizes as during the week.
2. Sneak in a longer workout. Boost calorie burn by adding 10 or 15 minutes to the weekend exercise routine. Visit Skinny Ms. Workout for ideas.
3. Pack healthy snacks for outings. One of the best weekend eating tips to prevent the snack attacks that lead to overeating or to fast food temptation is to pack your own nutritious, clean eating munchies, like one of these 100 Healthy Snacks to Eat On-the-Go.
4. Plan the menu for the following week. Taking time to plan healthy recipes for the upcoming week will make you more aware of what you are (or aren’t) putting into your body over the weekend. Check out our Meal Planning Resources.
5. Stick to homemade instead of takeout. Another of the top tips for weekend eating is to stick with healthy homemade recipes. For a no-fuss weekend meal, try one of the Top 20 Slow Cooker Recipes on Skinny Ms.
6. Order smart when you do eat out. Eat lean cuts of meat, and ask for dressings or sauces on the side so you get some control over excess fat and calories. Also check out Tips for Navigating the Chinese Take-Out Menu.
7. Eat before events. Enjoy a filling snack to curb appetizer grazing at parties. Give yourself lasting energy by choosing high-protein snacks that include foods such as water-packed tuna or low-fat dairy.
8. Drink more water. Avoid soda (regular and diet) entirely, and if you’re drinking alcohol consume one full glass of water between each serving of beer or wine. Stay away from mixed drinks, which are high in added sugar. Try one of these 4 Healthy Alternatives to unhealthy beverages.
9. Dip happy. One of the top tips for weekend eating is to avoid high-fat dips prepared with sour cream or excess cheese and instead reach for yogurt or hummus dips. Mix up one of these tasty 7 DIY Hummus Recipes.
10. Watch portion sizes. Having a little extra time over the weekend means we have more time to linger…and pile on another helping. Get into the habit of sticking to proper portion sizes for every meal and snack. Learn What is a Portion Size?
11. Don’t overdo breakfast. Researchers found that people tend to consume more over the weekend, particularly at breakfast, likely because we have more time to enjoy a morning meal than during the work week . One of the top weekend eating tips is to eat proper portions of Healthy Breakfast Ideas.