Embrace the warm and cozy aroma of cinnamon in your kitchen. These rolls, perfect for breakfast on Christmas Day, deliver hints of sweet citrus and notes of dark, delicious raisins and dates.
Cinnamon Rolls with Dates Hands-on time: 25 min. Total time: 2 hr. 34 min.
Ingredients • 2 packages dry yeast (about 4 1/2 teaspoons) • 3/4 cup warm unsweetened vanilla almond milk (100° to 110°) • 1/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°) • 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups) • 7.1 ounces whole-wheat flour (about 1 1/2 cups) • 1/4 cup butter, softened • 1/4 cup honey • 1/2 teaspoon salt • 1 1/2 teaspoons orange juice • 1 large egg, beaten • 1 large egg white, beaten • Cooking spray • 1/2 cup whole pitted Medjool dates (8 dates) • 1/2 cup boiling water • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom • 1/2 cup currants • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract • 4 teaspoons unsweetened vanilla almond milk
Directions 1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring to dissolve yeast; let stand 5 minutes. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add flours and next 6 ingredients (through egg white) to yeast mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms.
2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 4 minutes). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; roll into a 16 x 12–inch rectangle on a floured surface. Coat surface of dough with cooking spray.
3. Place dates and boiling water in a bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Place date mixture in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until a paste forms. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom; pulse 1 to 2 times or until blended.
4. Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1⁄2-inch border. Sprinkle currants over filling, pressing gently into filling. Roll up rectangle tightly, starting with a long edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam to seal. Cut roll into 16 slices. Place slices, cut sides up, in a 13 x 9–inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 35 to 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 375°.
6. Bake at 375° for 19 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
7. Place powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl. Add 4 teaspoons almond milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, stirring to form a thick glaze. Drizzle glaze evenly over rolls.
Serves 16 (serving size: 1 roll) CALORIES 230; FAT 4g (sat 2g, mono 1.1g, poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 5g; CARB 46g; FIBER 3g; CHOL 19mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 118mg; CALC 49mg
More Cinnamon Rolls: