The chia seed has stolen the limelight lately on the nutrition red carpet. Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, dietary fiber, antioxidants, and calcium, these tiny black and white seeds provide a boost of energy and regulate blood sugar to help you feel full longer. Reap the benefits of this nutritional powerhouse by discovering new ways to add its mild, nutty flavor to your diet.
Chia pudding has taken over Instagram! When it comes to fitness and clean-eating hashtags, this pearly goo shines. Sure, it may look a bit like fish eggs (or at least we think so), but don't let looks deter you from enjoying a deliciously creamy breakfast treat. Much like overnight oats, it's one of the easiest healthy breakfast you can have on the go. Mix at night, refrigerate while you sleep, then devour in the morning.
Cherry Chia Pudding
Ingredients1/2 cup chia seeds2 teaspoons honey2 cups unsweetened almond milk (storebought or make your own)2 cups frozen cherries1/2 cup water
Directions1. Mix chia seeds, honey and almond milk in a medium bowl. Cover and chill in the fridge for 4 hours, or even better, overnight.
2. Blend the cherries with a half-cup of water until you have a thick sauce. Pour the cherry sauce evenly into two mason jars; add the chia pudding overtop.
3. Add toppings of your choice. My favorites are pitted cherries, coconut flakes, and cocoa nibs.
4. Serve and savor! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Serves 4CALORIES 181; FAT 8 (sat 0.7g, mono 0.5g, poly 5g); PROTEIN 5g; CARB 25g; FIBER 9g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 2mg; SODIUM 94mg; CALC 243mg
More Delicious Ideas for Chia Seeds:
- Blueberry, Lemon and Thyme Chia Jam
- Coconut and Chia-Crusted Chicken Fingers
- Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins
- Banana-Berry Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Energy Balls