Jar desserts are great for singles, couples, or people just looking for an easy dessert recipe that serves a small crowd. If you've got a few friends coming over for book club night, make a few of these cup desserts, and let everyone settle in with their own special treat. It's also fun to leave the ingredients on your table and let guests build their own.
For these single-serve Key Lime pies, make the curd before guests arrive. Then fill bowls with the curd, whipped yogurt, crushed cookies, and lime zest. Offer guests mugs, half-pint canning jars, or miniature bowls so they can construct their own desserts in a cup.
The recipe blueprint: whipped Greek yogurt, fresh lime curd, crushed gingersnap cookies, and a little lime zest. You can sweeten the yogurt with a little honey if the tart tang is too much, or swap for plain or frozen low-fat yogurt.
Key Lime Pie in a Cup
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime rind
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 10 gingersnap cookies, crushed
- Combine sugar, rind, juice, cornstarch, and yolks in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk until thickened. Stir in butter. Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate until completely cool.
- Stir yogurt with a whisk to lighten. Layer yogurt, curd, and crushed cookies in 2 small mason jars or juice glasses. Garnish with lime rind, if desired.